Saturday, May 26, 2007

Our Pride & Joy :o)






















James David Farr

Born May 2nd, 2007 @ 10:55pm

7 lbs. 2 oz. & 19 1/2 inches


My labor started Wednesday morning May 2nd, around 10 am, and I knew because the contractions were way more intense and painful - different than any other time. Its funny cause you're always wondering, "How will I know?" And everyone always says, "You'll know." And it is true - YOU KNOW when its the real thing. So, Dave and I went for a walk to help it progress, which was hard at times, all the while the contractions progressed from 5 minutes apart to 4, and then finally 3 minutes, at which time I told Dave, "We gotta go." So we arrived at the hospital at 2pm and they monitored me and determined it was the real deal. And I must say that for me, in my opinion, labor is pure torture! I was able to breathe through it at first, but once my doctor broke my water, it became absolutely unbearable! The biggest problem was that they would allow me to be loose to walk around and stuff for only 30 minutes and then they needed to have me lie down and monitor my contractions, but most importantly my baby's heartbeat for at least 20 minutes, and it was the lying in bed that made it so awful, because I was having bad back labor, even though he was face down like he was supposed to be. So I had my epidural by 4pm, and I must say that was HEAVEN SENT! I was feeling great! Well, as great as you can be when your 35 pounds overweight, and your lower half is completely numb! Ha ha! :o) But Dave and I had a good time watching American Idol, and just hanging out. Its funny cause I was really scared of the epidural hurting, but I think getting the IV in my hand was the worst, especially since my vein blew, IN BOTH HANDS! And then they finally got it to work in my wrist - Yowser! Everything was temporary pain though, and very minimal, and the most amazing thing to me was how I could feel everything when he was coming out, but there was no pain! That was another misconseption of the epidural that I wouldn't be able to feel to push right, but I was fine! I started pushing at 10:00pm and had him out 55 minutes later! And I had a minor episiotomy, but that wasn't bad and its since healed and I've recovered nicely! I had a rough time sleeping in the hospital, I think it was cause every little noise Jamie made would wake me and I'd be panicky about what to do, and I don't think the hospital bed was very comfy, but all in all, being there for two days to have us both taken care of and being monitored was a huge blessing. Of course we both were fine and still are fine, but its nice being pampered! :o) Literally! (Anyone who has had a baby will get that joke!) Especially being visited and taught by the on call lactation specialist was a HUGE blessing because I was NOT nursing him right at first, and now its smooth sailing! :o) Jamers is now 3 and 1/2 weeks old and I am amazed and how much he changes every day, getting bigger and cuter and stronger all the time! He is very good baby, and he is very happy and content. He doesn't require a lot, just lots of milk and a stable schedule, which he is on thanks to a wonderful book called, "BabyWise"! And the help of my mother and sisters who have shown me the kind of mother I want to be and am striving to be! At James' 2 1/2 week doctor appointment he weighed in at 7lbs 8 oz, which is a perfect weight right now they said, and he is 21 1/2 inches long, which makes sense, because we noticed we had to loosen the straps on the carseat every time we took him anywhere! He is growing so fast! :o) I am proud to say that I am taking lots of pictures and video of him, I was afraid I'd miss out from forgetting those things, but I'm doing well! I am very proud to say that Dave has been a HUGE help, whenever he is home he does the burping and changing of the diaper! And I have had success in pumping my breastmilk so Dave is able to feed him his evening feeding and he actually handled the middle of the night feeding and changing and everything for me last night! It was awesome! The middle of the night thing won't be a trend, since obviously he needs to be coherent in the day for work, but it was so nice that he was willing. Thats the key, he is willing and eager to do whatever he can, and even though Jamie can't really "play" right now, Dave loves to hold him and talk to him and sing to him and I think they are already best buds! And Brady is most jealous and pouty acting when all of that is going on! Ha ha! :o) But I think Brady is mostly just curious about James, and he is constantly trying to check him out. We won't let him touch him in any way right now, so he waits until James is gone and then sniffs where he was laying or sitting! Its cute. :o) And when we are on a walk Brady heels right next to and behind the stroller cause he knows that Jamie is "Top Dog"! Its awesome, he is such a good dog. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful husband, baby, dog, and life and I keep wondering what I've done to deserve all this, but I won't take it for granted, I'll just soak in every minute and remember to appreciate what I have. Thank you for checking in on us, and be sure to come back soon! :o) Love you all!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

oh my word, he is beautiful!! I just love him already!

Tania Farr said...

baby James is so cute and you both look like great parents.